I recently attended a birthday party where the Mom had hired a Swiss party entertainer to do all the fun and games. It was great because I got to experience lots of new games and activities that I had never done or seen at a party. The one I enjoyed the most is so simple and yet the kids loved it and you don't need anything special at all to play the game.
gift hunt and guessing game
1. As guests arrive most likely with a present in toe, ask them to sit them all on a table, no opening or peeking.
2. The perfect time to play this game is after a few other games have been played, lunch/snacks have been eaten and then maybe just before or after cake is being served and just before pick up.
3. Ask the birthday boy or girl to leave the room, and then tell each birthday guest to find their present on the table and tell them to hide it anywhere in the room.
4. Invite the birthday child back into the room, and have her/him start hunting for a gift, all the other kids can start shouting "hot" (as she gets closer) or "cold" (as she gets further away) from a hidden gift.
5. When a gift is found, prior to opening the gift she/he must guess who the gift is from. Once guessed, she/he can open the pressie. (at the same time you may want to write down who gave what for the thank you cards).
6. For extra measure this is a good time for the birthday girl/boy to properly thank and/or hug their friend.
7. Then off to hunt for the next gift. The game is played till all the gifts have been found and everyone thanked.
GOOD TIP: Straight after this game, I like to then hand out all the favours or have all the birthday guests hunt for their own goodie bag. That way everyone is happy as they all have a little something to treasure.